CHILDREN are more likely to get asthma from living in a damp home than a home full of dust mites, an international study has found.
The research, part of a study of 46,000 children in 20 countries, provided extensive evidence that living in damp or mouldy homes was associated with asthma, allergies, hay fever and eczema.
Dust mite levels were higher in damp homes, and children were more likely to become allergic to dust mites in such homes – but the increased levels of dust mites weren’t linked with wheezing.
University of Otago researcher Julian Crane says it’s dampness itself that is the problem.
If the child already had asthma, the dampness or mould made it more severe.
“Dry warm homes would significantly reduce this major disease burden,” Professor Crane said.