A nearly nine-month investigation, which had involved up to 15 officers, did not turn up enough evidence to support sexual assault or related charges being laid in court, Detective Senior Sergeant Neil Forlong said on Wednesday.
The decision not to lay charges came following legal advice from both police and crown lawyers.
In September last year, the Whanganui woman complained she was raped by several players from the visiting South Canterbury rugby team.
The “exhaustive” investigation had been methodical and and police interviewed more than 30 people, Det Snr Sgt Forlong said.
“The investigation team received full co-operation from all those spoken to.”
Police would consider any new information that came to light, Det Snr Sgt Forlong said.
“Regardless of the outcome, sexual assault is a serious crime and police are dedicated to thoroughly investigating all complaints reported to us.”
Police had spoken to the woman who made the complaint and told her of their decision.
Police are not commenting further.