A New Zealand soldier has died in Afghanistan in a non-combat incident.
The soldier from the Provincial Reconstruction Team was injured in an incident at a forward patrol base in Bamyan province on Tuesday, the New Zealand Defence Force says.
The death was not the result of a combat operation.
“We are saddened by this loss and, on behalf of the entire New Zealand Defence Force, I extend my deepest sympathies to the family, colleagues and friends of the soldier,” Defence Force Chief Lieutenant General Rhys Jones said.
He said an investigation had already begun into the death of the soldier, whose name has not been released.
The soldier is the fifth serving for New Zealand to die in the Afghanistan conflict.