A New Zealand veterinary clinic says it has treated drugged pets, including a chihuahua who ate leftover marijuana joints and a dog tripping on magic mushrooms.
Also read about: Dogs wipe out blue penguin colony in NZ
The After Hours Veterinary Hospital in Hamilton has treated at least eight stoned dogs since it opened in January.
Owner Keith Houston told AAP most of the pets had eaten marijuana left lying around the house.
“One person had thrown all their hash cake on the lawn, someone else had taken frozen (marijuana) heads out of the freezer and the dog ate it out of the garbage,” he said.
“If you’re stoned and lying around on the couch and you leave your biscuits out, then they’re going to eat them.”
Dr Houston said generally marijuana was not harmful to dogs but being stoned did upset them.
“They’ll start howling, whining because they don’t know that they’ve had some marijuana – all they know is that they’re feeling terrible or funny,” he said.
Ingesting large doses can affect small dogs and recently a vet at the clinic treated a Chihuahua that had eaten too much marijuana by snapping up leftover butts from joints.
The dog’s blood cells dilated causing it to nearly die from hypothermia.
Vets warmed the dog with blankets and water and hydrated it through a drip feed.
Dr Houston said an out-of-control canine was brought in and tests showed it had eaten magic mushrooms.
SPCA chief inspector Nick Thomason said he had come across a few cases of drugged dogs.
“We’ve had animals which we’ve suspected of being under the influence of some controlled drug but not to the extent where they’ve required medication,” he said.
The New Zealand Companion Animal Society, a branch of the New Zealand Veterinary Association, said pet owners should be wary of poisons, including drugs, left lying around as dogs are natural scavengers.