One in four people regularly choose their holiday destination based on popular films or TV shows. This is according to a survey of 2,000 people commissioned by the UK arm of HBO Entertainment.
New Zealand was voted the favourite holiday destination on account of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. New York came in second for Sex and the City, and three locations used for filming Game of Thrones came in the top 10.
Top 10 TV or movie destinations:
1. New Zealand – Lord of the Rings
2. New York, USA – Sex and the City
3. The Causeway Coast and Glens, Antrim, Northern Ireland – Game of Thrones
4. Las Vegas, USA – The Hangover
5. West Bay, Dorset, UK – Broadchurch
6. Alnwick Castle, Northumberland – Harry Potter
7. Paris, France – Inception
8. Benidorm, Spain – Benidorm
9. Iceland – Game of Thrones
10. Malta – Game of Thrones
According to Tourism New Zealand, over 80,000 visitors cited The Hobbit trilogy as a factor in choosing New Zealand as their holiday destination for the year ending March 2015.
Photo by Wikipedia.org/השואה