MARMITE will return to New Zealand shelves in two weeks time, although some lucky Christchurch families got a special early tasting.
The breakfast spread will officially be back in stores on March 20, having been unavailable for over a year due to the factory where it was made being closed to due earthquake damage.
Some families in the quake-hit city had a visit from Sanitarium general manager Pierre van Heerden and former All Blacks captain Wayne ”Buck” Shelford, carrying jars of the black stuff.
They visited Kathy Landreth and her three children Jesse, 13, Hannah, 11, and Imani, 9, who have been without Marmite since September last year.
”I didn’t have any,” Landreth told Fairfax NZ.
”I decided to leave it for [the children] because that’s what mums do.”
All three of her children loved Marmite, especially Imani.
Their Parklands house was demolished following the February 2011 quake, with construction of a new home beginning next week.
”We’re going to have Marmite for dinner,” said Landreth.
”I don’t think we can wait until tomorrow morning.”
The Rebuild Christchurch Foundation chose the families who received the Marmite, and more Marmite will be handed out to other families over the week.
The shortage and New Zealand’s love-affair with the spread made global headlines, and half-used jars went up for sale on internet auction sites to temp those with a craving to pay over the odds to get their fix.