The 28-year-old has been moved out of intensive care and is now in a stable condition.
“I just want to let everyone know that I’m ok,” Ryder said in a statement.
“I feel heaps better today but still really tired. I’ve been reading your messages that have been sent so thank you to everyone for thinking of me over the last few days.
“I want to thank everyone who has been caring for me at the hospital – they have been awesome. Thank you to my family and friends who have been here also.”
His manager Aaron Klee said Ryder had been in an upbeat and light-hearted mood since getting out of the coma.
“He’s been quite cheeky,” APNZ reported.
“We’ve had some giggles this afternoon, mainly one-word-type conversations. I’ve told him he’s one of the most talked-about people in New Zealand.”
Most of his injuries are to his head and lungs.
He had a fractured skull but had suffered no brain damage.
“There’s been quite a bit of damage to his lungs though,” Klee said.
“That’s been the toughest part, that’s what they’ve been most concerned about.”
There was no certainty that the batsman would return to the game.
“I hope so. Who knows? … I’m pretty sure that there’s a drive within Jesse that will get him back if he can.”
Ryder has battled with alcohol problems in the past, but Wellington Cricket chief executive Peter Clinton said no team protocols had been broken on the night Ryder was attacked, which followed their final match of the season.
“We’ll have to wait and see what form of support Cricket Wellington can provide but we want to ensure he and his family are well supported and comfortable.”
Two men have been arrested for the attack, which occurred outside a pub and then across the road by a McDonald’s, where Ryder’s teammates had been getting food.
The 20-year-old and 37-year-old relatives will appear in court on Thursday when they will face assault charges.