UK Unmarried Partner Visa – Can a relationship with a citizen grant me an extended stay?

ASK THE EXPERT | Will I be able to stay in the UK, based on a 3 year relationship with a British citizen?


Unmarried partner visa

Q: I am currently in the UK on a student visa. However, I am not keen on continuing my studies and am looking for other options to extend my stay in the UK. I am in a relationship with a British citizen and we have been living together almost since I arrived in the UK just over three years ago. Will I be able to extend my stay in the UK, based on our relationship?

 A: It sounds as if you might qualify for the unmarried partner’s visa. It is possible for persons in heterosexual and same-sex relationships to apply for this visa.

In order to qualify, you will need to prove that you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage, which has subsisted for two years or more. If you are successful in your application you will be able to work in the UK without any restrictions.

Please contact our offices for more information.

JP Breytenbach

Director of Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants Limited or [email protected]