Ten-year concession – Can I apply for UK residence?

ASK THE EXPERT | Based on my 6 years on a student visa, can I apply for permanent residence?


Q: I have been in the UK for about six years now on various student visas. Is there any way that I can apply for my permanent residence based on this time period that I have spent in the UK?

A: Unfortunately, student visas are temporary visas and do not lead to permanent residence.

The only exception to the above rule is the 10-year concession. With a 10-year concession you would need to prove 10 continuous years (not more than 90 days out of the UK in 10 years) of lawful residence in the UK. Time spent on a student visa would count as part of the 10 years.

Please contact our offices for more information.

JP Breytenbach

Director of Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants Limited

www.bic-immigration.com or [email protected]