Home » News » NZ News »

NZ lotto winner fails to show for work

A New Zealand man who vowed to return to work after winning $NZ26.5 million ($A21.1 million) in Saturday’s lotto draw has failed to show up for his shift at a supermarket.

 
 

A New Zealand man who vowed to return to work after winning $NZ26.5 million ($A21.1 million) in Saturday’s lotto draw has failed to show up for his shift at a supermarket.

But the manager of Huntly’s Countdown told Fairfax he had not shown up for work on Tuesday morning for his shift as a checkout operator.

Dubbed New Zealand’s most eligible bachelor, Trevor said he would take a few months to work out what he wanted to do but said he already had some plans.

“I’m going to keep working in the meantime. But I said to my Mum you never have to work again.

“My bank account balance is now longer than my telephone number – it still doesn’t feel real yet,” Trevor said.

He had just completed a management course and said he was looking forward to working because he liked his job, rather than because he needed the money.

The winning ticket was sold at the Te Kauwhata Foodmarket in Te Kauwhata, about 40km north of Hamilton, which has a population of about 1200 people.

Store owner Jesal Patel says the town had been buzzing after the news that it was home to New Zealand’s newest millionaire.

“It’s so exciting for our small community, and everyone is so happy. This is the best thing that could’ve happened to the town – it really puts us on the map,” Mr Patel said.

 
 

 
[vivafbcomment]