Home » News » NZ News »

NZ condemns Nigerian girls’ kidnapping

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has condemned the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls in Nigeria by Islamist militant group Boko Haram.

 
 

The kidnapping of the girls in northeastern Nigeria almost a month ago has sparked a growing wave of international outrage and a number of countries, including Britain, the US and France, have offered support to the Nigerian government to try to find the girls.

Mr Key says he’s sure all New Zealanders would join him in deploring and condemning Boko Haram’s actions.

“Aside from causing immense and needless trauma and suffering, acts like this have the longer term purpose of discouraging families from allowing their daughters an education,” he told reporters on Monday.

Boko Haram was listed as a designated terrorist group by the government last month.

New Zealand has not been asked for assistance, and Mr Key says realistically other countries are better placed to help.

“However, we can add our voice to those of governments and citizens around the world calling for the girls’ safe return to their desperate families,” he said.

New Zealand will continue to monitor the situation, Mr Key said.

 
 

 
[vivafbcomment]