Home » News » NZ News »

New Zealand man drops legal fight over V8 race

A Hamilton man has dropped plans to halt next weekend’s V8 Supercars race after agreeing to help pay for his family to relocate during the event.

 
 

A Hamilton man has dropped plans to halt next weekend’s V8 Supercars race after agreeing to help pay for his family to relocate during the event.

Paul Smart had been seeking a High Court injunction putting the brakes on the event after organisers had not offered to relocate him and his family from their house bordering the race circuit.

They had instead been offered passes to the race and a car pass to park in a secure area. Efforts to reach a deal had failed, prompting his legal action.

His lawyer Kate Hay said in a statement on Friday that an agreement had been reached with V8 Supercars and the application for an injunction, due to be heard on Monday, had been withdrawn.

She said V8 Supercars would help pay for alternative accommodation for Mr Smart and his family during the event.

Mr Smart, who had compared having the race track outside his house to “having a boom box up against your window”, would still seek compensation through the courts.

V8 Supercars had earlier said Mr Smart was not exposed to any risk.

 
 

 

comments