EEA Visas

ASK THE EXPERT | Will my brother-in-law’s Portuguese citizenship enable my sister to live and work in the UK?


EEA visa

Q: My sister is looking for options to enable them to live and work in the UK. Will the fact that my brother-in-law has Portuguese citizenship enable them to settle in the UK?

A: Yes, it will indeed. Any citizen of an EU country taking up residence in the UK in accordance with EU treaty rights is entitled to bring their family with them. ‘Family’ includes a spouse, children under 21 years and any other family members who are part of the same household and remain dependent upon the EU citizen.

All non-EU members of the family accompanying the EU citizen to the UK can apply for an EEA Family Permit.

The main advantage of this type of visa is that there are no work restrictions on the holder of the visa or their dependants and it can lead to permanent residence in the UK.

Please ask your sister to get in touch with us for further assistance.

JP Breytenbach
Director of Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants Limited or [email protected]